joe
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
14074217

Procedure for changing an alternator belt on a 1993 3000GT

Customer Question

what is the procedure for changing an alternator belt on a 1993 3000GT
Category: Car
Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.
with or without a/c, and is it single overhead cam or dual overhead cam
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With AC and dual overhead cam
Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.

here is a diagram you can follow

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not understand how to adjust the tension. Also, the tension and idler pullys rotate freely but make a little bit of noise do they need replaced as well

Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.
well, I would, because they are apparently making some bearing noise, meaning they are beginning to fail, however, i dont think it will happen in the near future, but they are going. the tension is just for reference, you always want that belt tight and the tensioners tight , the adjustments are in inch pounds of torgue, you would use this if you had a inch pound torque rench to be exact.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are the tensioners? The pullys are hard to get to but I assume they just come off by removing the bolt in the front. Is this correct? How much do you think these pullys will cost?
Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.
if you look at the diagram, the tensioner pulley and the alternator tensioner pulley are there to obviously apply the necessary tension to the belt, some tensioners, you have to sort of bend it back with a serpentine tool, (its like a crowbar but it fits on the nut of the pulley) and others tighten up by turning the bolt, and they will come off by the undoing the bolt, the cost of the pulleys vary, I would say anywere from 35.00 to 100.00 dollars
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The bolt on the tension pully sets out and I tried to turn it and could not get it to turn either way. If I decide to not change the pullys, can I just try to put the belt on and adjust it by the alternator pully? It appears to me that the tension pully with the one that does the adjusting.

Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.

yes you can do that, but It may be that the one that doesnt want to turn could be frozen, and may need some spray, see if it is the kind of tensioner that has a strong spring inside of it and is meant to "bend upward or downward" put the ratchet on it and try to apply pressure see if it moves

joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX were helpful, however, I was not able to fix it my self. I have other cars that will need repairs, so I would like to keep you as an advisor.
Expert:  joe replied 5 years ago.

I would love to, thanx , and am sorry , that is not an easy job even for the most professional of experts.