Dean
Dean, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician
1783241

89 Subaru: AWD..a broken timming belt on the left head..cam timing

89 Subaru 1.8 DL AWD
When you have a broken timming belt on the left head. How do you set the cam timing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dean replied 7 years ago.
1. Align the middle hash mark on the crank, line the timing mark for the left (driver's side) camshaft at 12 o'clock. Install #2 belt on the left side. Tighten the #2 belt.

2. After completing previous steps, rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees (cam 180). Line the right side camshaft to 12 o'clock and install belt #1. Tighten the belts per manufacturer's specs.

Hope this helps..... Thank You
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dean

Ya, I'm a retired ASE Master of 35 years, but specialized in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury. Can't fool me there. Nowhere have i found this particular information. All-Data shows both marks at the top for proper alignment. That just don't work!!! I discovered it by shear trial and error. One immage demonstrated an imposible alignment unless the mark was set 180 off. Just wanted a confirmation.

Thanks, Jim

Expert:  Dean replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Hope everything works out and you get it going. Good luck.