Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

2000 kia sportage: both relays, ecm..volts..compressor

2000 kia sportage air cond, have replaced both relays, ecm , checked the wiring for shorts & bad connections, have 5 volts at the a/c pressure switch, but when i probe the pink wire on pressure switch with test light the compressor kicks on . that is my problem the compressor will not kick on when air is turned on help     [email protected]
When you probe the pink wire you're supplying a ground to the a/c clutch control circuit to the pcm, you more than likely have either a bad pressure switch or a failed thermal limiting switch on the a/c compressor. If you can jump the wires on the switch and the a/c comes on you have a bad pressure switch

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have jumped the pressure switch will not work ,where is the ther. switct on compressor?
Sorry about that, The thermostat switch is actually located on the evaporator on the sportage(pretty much the only ones that have one there instead of the compressor)

I've included the wiring diagram of the system and an illustration of the thermostat switch location below.

As you can see in the diagram the thermostat switch is wired in series with the pressure switch so either of them can cause the system to not function. If you find it's the thermostat switch unless you're willing to remove the airbox I would bypass it. The main function of the switch is to make sure the evaporator doesn't get too cold and freeze up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry about this but which wires do connect to bypass to keep from blowing any thing, by the way my a/c/relay has 4 wires not 6
Are you sure you're not looking at the a/c cut relay, they're right next to eachother. But I wouldn't be surprised if they both only had 4 wires, kia's service documentation isn't the best.

How many wires do you have on the Thermostat switch connector? The wiring diagram shows black/white and blue/white to be the wires you need, while , the service manual says it's a brown wire and a blu/white wire, both of them only show two wires in the connector though. (this is why many people hate working on older kia's)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
both relays have only 4 ,the wire in question are bl/wht,blu/ 4of them,thanks
Ok, I found a diagram that roughly matches your system, it's for a 2001, I've included that below. The 4 wires you listed above are for the blower resistor, in the same area should be the thermocon(korean for thermal switch I assume) Per this diagram it's a 3 wire connector which you'll want to jump the blue and green and the blue and white together.(in korean diagrams L means blue)

Sorry things are so confusing, this is just as frustrating on my end as yours, which is why we dread seeing older kias come through the door with electrical problems, half the battle is finding a diagram that actually matches the vehicle it's supposed to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

will try this , miller time now thanks a bunch

Let me know how it goes.