Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1987 Porsche: the horn ground wire within the steering column

Customer Question

I own a 1987 Porsche 924S. The horn does not work. There is no ground connection for the horn ground wire within the steering column. The windshield wiper and turn signal switches have no metal pieces in order to attach the horn ground wire. Attaching the horn ground wire to the steering shaft is a possibility, but is only a temporary fix, as the wire will loosen over time due to turning the steering wheel while driving. Any suggestions / information will be appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

It sounds like you are looking for an alternative way to attach the ground wire. Attach a ground wire to the existing ground, and run it along with the main wiring harness in the column. Run the wire down the column and to the left under the dash. Continue on until you get to the side of the vehicle to the far left, in the kick panel area. Attach the wire to the metal body. There should be several fasteners that you can loosen to attach the ground to that will supply a good ground. Once this is done you will have a reliable ground source for the head of the column. You could locate the original ground wires and trace them down, and find out why there is no ground. That is the text book way to proceed, but that can be difficult to do. The method outlined is much easier and electrically equal to, or better than the original setup. Be sure to use wire ties to secure the wire, and route it along with the existing wires. 14 to 16 ga ware will be sufficient is size. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.