Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

keep blowing 20amp fuse for the pcm-asd on a 2000 stratus 2.4l auto

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Unplug the PCM and ASD, and see if the fuse still blows if the fuse still blows then the problem is most likely a short in the wiring. If the fuse doesn't blow with these unplugged, reconnect them one at a time to see which one is blowing the fuse. If the problem is in the wiring, it can be a nightmare to find, but there is a tool that helps significantly. I will include a link for this tool below. These tools can turn a nightmare repair into a simple fix. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Tool Link

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it blows when i plug the pcm in or when you turn the key on to the run position
Does it blow when you turn the key on without the PCM plugged in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no

PCM's rarely fail, but they do. Because the fuse doesn't blow with the PCM disconnected, that makes it look like the PCM is bad. Check the plug on the PCM to see if it can be shorting out. It is possible for the PCM to still be good, and for it to complete a connection that creates the short and blows the fuse. But this is not likely. I would carefully open up the PCM, and look for damage. In situations like this you can see a burnt spot inside. This would confirm the problems. Also don't damage it because if you buy a rebuilt one you will need to trade the old one in. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I SWAPPED OUT THE PCM ALREADY TO ELEMENATE THE PROBLEM,I CAN'T FIND A GOOD SCHEMATIC OF THE WIRING TO SEE WHERE IT WOULD GO I THOUGHT MAYBE THE IGNITION SWITCH SHORTED BUT THAT'S NOT IT EITHER.I CAN'T FIND OUT WHAT ELSE RUNS OFF THE CIRCUIT.