Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1996 Mitsubishi eclipse: have changed the spark sensor

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi eclipse that will not idle. The have changed the spark plugs and wires but it still won't idle. The throttle position sensor is new and the map sensor was replaced. I could not find any vacuum leaks. I do have an exhaust leak somewhere near the exhaust manifold. Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The problem could be a hidden vacuum leak. It can be hard to find vacuum leaks, but I have a good way to look for them. Get a can of WD40 and spray it all around suspect areas. If you hit a vacuum leak the engine will speed up for a second or two. This allows you to find vacuum leaks that are hidden, and is the best method I have ever used.

If a thorough WD hunt for vacuum leaks doesn't locate any undiscovered leaks, then I would suspect the IAM (idle air motor) I will warn you that every one calls this device something different. It is almost better to describe it than to call it by a certain name. It is some of the automotive industry nomenclature dysfunction. The IAM is a small electric motor that acts robotically to control the idle speed. This motor receives encoded signals from the vehicles computer that controls the idle speed. If this device fails, becomes dirty/stuck, or looses electrical connection, the engine will have great difficulty idling. So check this out if you do not find ant vacuum leaks. I would also recommend checking the fuel pressure if you haven't done so. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Were is the IAM located and how difficult is it to replace?
It is right at the throttle body, near the TPS. Other than the TPS it should be the only other device with wires going to it. It is not hard to change. It is considered a minor repair.