Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Saab: low speeds..brakes and turn steering wheel..intermittent

Customer Question

Saab 2007 9-3 auto 1.9 TDI - steering stiff at low speeds - gets stiffer when you apply brakes and turn steering wheel at the same time, also some intermittent resistance . Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  oliver replied 7 years ago.
<p>do a test real quick and let me know how it comes out.....</p><p>in an open area, quickly accelerate while turning, see if the resistance goes down a little then when you slowly accelerate and turn. then sit in park and rev the engine to 2000 rpms or more and turn the wheel side to side. see if it easier doing this than when you do it with the engine at normal idle. tell me if there is any differences ir resistance when doing these two tests please.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. No specific difference between a. no revs stationary steering wheel turn and b. 2000 revs steering turn - however there is initial sluggish resistance from steering wheel on both tests which wasn't there before, which lessens with more effort.

2. a. I turned the car slowly and applied brakes - slight steering resistance

b. I turned the car quickly and applied brakes - more steering resistance.

3. I did a weave at 60 mph and applied brakes - steering extremely heavy and difficult to turn - the more I applied brakes the heavier the steering got.

Hope this helps

Expert:  oliver replied 7 years ago.
can you look under you hood, where the brake fluid goes, and tell me if there is a big round drum with a vacuum hose coming out of it behind the brake fluid resevoir or is there a piece of metal with steel lines coming from it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The brake fluid reservoir is sat on a cylidrical piece of alloy metal with thin black metal pipes coming out of it. These pipes go off in various directions.

Behind the brake fluid reservoir is a fairly large circular metal thing about a foot across.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could someone tell me why this has taken in excess of 24 hours.?