Trouble shooter 1
Trouble shooter 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  associates degree 9 years warranty
15809332

/>we have a situation with a 92 all whell drive that was donated

Customer Question

I have asked a question and not gotten any response.
we have a situation with a 92 all whell drive that was donated to our ministry. we help the less fortunate in flagstaff az.
they said it was the differential ( it has one attached to the transmission) but now they are says it is the silver metal box infront of the transmission/differential. Is tyhere free schematic we can get of the engine to know what the part is so I can track it down on the internet or can someone tell me what the part is. Please please please.; elizabeth
Category: Car
Expert:  Trouble shooter 1 replied 5 years ago.
what reason did you take it in
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

according to my husband it sounded a transaxle was thunck thunck thucking.

did you hear it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sounded like it was coming from under my seat under passenger side but it felt same to him and he was driving. like someone was hitting under the car with a steell mallot.

thunck...thunck... thunck on a rregular rythm

only when moving correct possible shft or ujoint issue
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

husband said shifted just fine but faster we went louder it got and faster

originally thought u joint. they looked and said it ewas box infront of trans differential.

box is 5 by 6. and silver. what is it where can i get free picuture of engine

that is the terrible thing about a noise to be sure it is the failure you have to tear it down they think that is where the nosie is coming from so it is going to be a chance thing if you asked himn to give you a gurantee that is whrerthe nosie was coming from he probably would not do it but you are going to have to give him authorization to find out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you tall me were I can get a schematic for the engine so i can at least know what this part is/
i am going to try to get it for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great

For 1991-95 models, Chrysler made available an All Wheel Drive (AWD) version of the Caravan/Voyager. The AWD equipped vehicles use the same basic drivetrain layout as the front wheel drive versions, with the exception of the rear driveline module. To transfer the power from the engine and transaxle, to the rear driveline module, these vehicles use an Power Transfer Unit (PTU). The PTU is connected to the transaxle where the right halfshaft extension housing would be.

The PTU is a separate unit from the transaxle. It uses a standard hypoid type ring and pinion. The PTU is sealed from the transaxle and has its own oil sump. The unit uses SAE 85W-90 gear lube and holds 1.22 qts.

The PTU is not a repairable unit and can only be replaced. If you suspect the PTU has failed, take the vehicle to an authorized service center.