Carman1980, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been in the automotive industry for over 15 years with nothing but excelent repore

2006 Suzuki Forenza. Power Steering Pump fell apart so we

2006 Suzuki Forenza. Power Steering Pump fell apart so we are changing the timing belt at the same time (it's past due). My son got the timing belt on and swore that nothing moved however when the engine is started it sounds like the cams are one tic off (Thank God they're not more)! I guess what I need to know is how to assure the timing on this 2.0 engine. there are painted marks on the cams however I do not know the orientation. I also need to know which cylinder is #1 since my son removed the crankshaft pulley and did not mark it - the pulley does have a notch and there is a marker pin attached to the block.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carman1980 replied 7 years ago.
well first on your engine the number one cylinder is the spark plug closet to where the cam is. Second what I like to do is old school but it will be dead on. Pull the Number 1 Spark plug and use a long screw driver and put it down the hole turn the cam with timing belt offf. Top dead center on that car will be the split point when the screwdrive is going up then it will stop for second then it will start to come down, right before it comes down that is top dead center.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Am I turning the Crankshaft or the Valve cams for this? Do you know where the cam marks should be for #1 Top Dead Center