Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

78,000 miles is that good mileage and when does the timing belt..suv

im buying a 2003 landrover with 78,000 miles is that good mileage and when does the timing belt need to be change.I never own a suv landrover but my daughter thinks this is good on low miles and how is it rated?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Range Rover, Discovery, or Freelander? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im buying a 2003 landrover with 78,000 miles it new inside and out and this vehicle is new to me.my daughter wants to buy it.When do the timing belt get change and were does she take it to get service and is this a good vehicle to invest in?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what model landrover this is? Is it a range rover, discovery, or freelander? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a 2003 freelander
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

These are good vehicles with not many known problems. $5,000 sounds like a very reasonable price and below market value. You can go to www.kbb.com to check private party value in your area which will be a close estimate of what it is worth. You can also go to www.craigslist.org and look for similiar vehicles in your area to see what they are selling for. Here is a reliability report on the vehicle which notes common repairs from over 2 million repair reports. Here is also a maintenince schedule so you know what should be done and can ask about it. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
were do you take this vehicle for service at?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Idealy the dealership. The timing belt is a 6 hour labor job and parts will be around $200 so expect to spend around $800 total. But you should be able to bring vehicle pretty much anywhere that has good mechanics or preferably has done this procedure before. It does not require any special tools so that is a plus. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How many miles when the timing belt need to be change and the water pump?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Timing belt is suppose to be done at 72k and no specific time for water pump, just when it fails. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much!