OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

fuel system apparently, as it idles very low and then dies

how do you know which sensor is bad. we have a problem with the fuel system apparently, as it idles very low and then dies when taking your foot off the brake when driving
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-Is the check engine light on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it's a mitsubishi eclipse. a 2000. the motor is a 3.0. a v6 gt 5 speed. the check engine light is on
The fact that the check engine light came on indicates that the computer has done the diagnotic and found a fault in the system. You need to run and OBDII scan to check what the computer has found. Drive the car to the closes parts store (autozone, advanced, o'reillys) and ask them for an OBDII scan. They will do this for free, and this will tell you which sensor needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yeah, we did that. it just gives a code that when you look it up it says fuel trim and can be one of about 20 things.
Do you have the code?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
actually my daughter does. we bought the car for her and she is at work. I would have to get back to you on that.
Can you please give me the code or codes and let me get a manufacture specific definition for it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think I may have just come across it. Try P0170
Thank you.

Typically that is bad oxygen sensor (before catalytic converter). However I would suggest that you check the following prior to chaning that sensor.

1. Check exhaust system for leaks.
2. Check air intake system for leaks. (from air filter back to the throttle body)
3. Check fuel injector connectors to make sure they are not loose/broken.