Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  20 years of automotive repair & modification, USA, Asian, Euro, old & new cars. Porsche technician.

1987 porsche 914: 944 engine in it.

Customer Question

Hello, thank you for taking my question...

I am working with a 1987 Porsche 924s. It has the 944 engine in it.

This vehicle has been sitting for 4yrs. It was parked with an empty fuel tank.

It was in great running condition when parked.

I have changed the oil and added about 4 gallons of fuel.

The car is turning over just fine. But I dont believe it is getting fuel. This vehicle is on a rather steep incline.

I need to prime the carborator but I am clueless as to how to do it.

I have about 5hrs to get this nice porsche running, if i can do that it will be free. It must be moved today. Please instruct me as to how i can prime the fuel system to get it started.

Thank you for your time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jan Andersson replied 7 years ago.

First off, the car has fuel injection, no carb.

To run the pump, remove fuel pump relay from teh fuse box/relay holder assembly, and bridge the socket terminals 30 and 87b with a piece of wire. The pump should now run and prime the system. If the socket terminals aren't labeled, look at the relay. The relay pins are numbered, just make sure you jump the corresponding socket connectors.

Unfortunately sometimes the pumps freeze when they sit for a long period of time. They draw a little power and may make a little click, but no pumping.

You still have old fuel in the fuel lines, pump, and the injectors even if the tank was empty. Old fuel (especially in the US) goes bad real quick, like in a year even. Eventually it starts to varnish and gunk up fuel system parts. See if you can make the engine run briefly by spraying starter spray or carb cleaner directly in the intake, that would at least tell you if you have a fuel delivery problem or if it's something else.

Also there is a reference sensor on top of the clutch bellhousing, accessible from the topside between the engine and the firewall.
If that's bad, the engine won't fire. It's a push in magnetic sensor, held on by one allen head bolt. The wire for it makes a loop above the sensor and there is a plastic connector for the wire. The plastic deteriorates and crumbles over time, maybe so much so that the connectors may get disconnected. Worth a look.

Fuel pressure with the pump bridged and engine OFF, should be around 36PSI (2.5bar). After shutting off, pressure should remain at around 14PSI (1bar) after 20 minutes.

Oh your relay box may look different, not sure which type your car uses.. here's another pic: