Pete NelsonJr.
Pete NelsonJr., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Saab/GM experience

2000 Saab 93: intermittently wont start..fuses..cranks

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Saab 93 that intermittently won't start. The fuses and fuel pump seem fine. It cranks over but won't fire. This is my first Saab so I don't know much about repair on it. I have been repairing cars (for myself) for many years though. Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete NelsonJr. replied 7 years ago.
Well if your certain you have fuel you have no spark,this is usually due to 1 of 2 things.Bad Crank Sensor, or a bad D.I. Cassette (COIL PACK). The easiest way for you yourself to tell which is go to an autoparts store and buy a tool called a noid light. The noid light is a small test light that can be plugged in one of the 4 fuel injector plugs.When the car won't start, hook up your noid light and watch it while someone trys to start.If it flashes you have crank signal indicating probably a bad DI.If it doesn't flash you probably need a crank sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. One other questions. Will either of the two parts you mentioned be more apt to cause the car to sputter and stall at intersections?
Usually D.I.'s will be more likely to cause that type problem.Crank sensors usually act up when trying to restart the car when its warm.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have the crank sensor on the way. Where is it located on the car?

Its down under the exhaust manifold and turbo on the engine block.It's like a 25 or a 30 torx I believe.Just one little bolt.and you wiggle it out and wiggle the new one in.Make sure your old o-ring comes out, if you end up with 2 o-rings in the hole you'll have a leak.Hope this helps.