OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

2005 Mini Cooper..my warranty..starting my..service and oil change

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper and my warranty expired last year. I have had problems in the past few weeks starting my car and the check engine light has been coming on. I took the car in for service and oil change and the mechanic said he didn't know about the check engine light. The other day I was trying to start my car and the lights began blicking and the car made this click click click sound. There was definately a problem. I jumped the car and then I took it to an autopart store and the manager changed my battery after testing it. He said it was the battery it seemed. The car started perfectly and I went on home. This morning I went to start the car and it is completely dead. No juice. No blinking lights. Looks like a dead battery... ??? What should I do? I don't have much disposable income for diagnostics and I am pretty handy with doing things myself if need be. PLEASE HELP!!
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The car not starting and the check engine light are not related. The click, click, click is due to a dead battery. The fact that the car started on a jump indicates that the car needs a new battery or is not getting proper charge.

Here is how you can find out why the light is on and if the battery is good/bad , as well as alternator check. Drive the car to the closes autoparts store such as autozone, advanced, o'reillys.
Ask for and OBDII scan (this is the diagnostic for the check engine light) they will run this test free and even give you a print out of the diagnostic. This will also have a definition of the codes.
Then ask them to run a battery and alternator test. This will test the voltage of the battery, cold cranking amp and eventually even the alternator, also free.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please finish reading my request. I did exactly that and got a new battery installed yesterday.
Take the battery out, have it recharged (most parts stores will do this for you as well) then drive up to and have your alternator tested.
The only reason the battery can drain that quick is either the alternator is not charning it enough or something is draing it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The alternator is charging it, I got it tested yesterday. that is my question, what is draining it?
Did they check the ground wire? to make sure it's getting good ground?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Well that is the first thing that needs to be checked. If the ground wire is good, then they can check the fuse box to see if anything is hot (staying on) while the car is off.

Did you notice anything that stayed on when you turned the car off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no that's the first thing I looked at. all the lights, etc. were off.
Have them check the ground then and test the fuse box to see if anything is hot. Also ask if they tested the alternator voltage at the battery terminals and what it read.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The alternator reads 13.6 or so.
Thats good, was it tested at the battery terminals?