Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Mini Cooper..garage..drained..two miles) and then it was not driven

An update on my previous question - our Mini Cooper S (2003) went in for service on 29 July. The garage admitted that the person servicing it (the boss' son) drained the car of oil and replaced it with oil that was too thick for the engine. My husband brought the car home on 29 July (about two miles) and then it was not driven again until the following morning. As the car was making an awful noise my husband returned it to the garage straight away (again about two miles). The garage have admitted that they put the wrong type of oil into the car but say that the damage caused is "fair wear and tear" as the car has done 102,000 miles. We dispute that. What is your opinion?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 7 years ago.
It is not a coincidence that your problem started so quickly. Properly maintained the engine will go well over 200,000 miles with no issues. If the engine is now operating normally with good oil pressure i would not be overly concerned, if there is damage and it is still making noise or has low oil pressure they owe you replacement used engine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Neal

The car has been permanently damaged - they are talking crank shaft bearings - can you advise me what I should do now please?

Expert:  Neal replied 7 years ago.
As far as I am concerned they are responsible for the damage. The problem started as soon as you left their shop. That type of problem is not normal in your vehicle at that milage, they need to be responsible for the repairs and should warranty the bearings they intall. If they will not cooperate you should seek an attorrney or file a small claims case.

The repair involved is mostly labor, therefore they are mostly just losing their time and not a lot of cash so you would think they would own up to what they did and learn from their mistake. Not to mention the business they will lose if they so clearly mistreat you and you tell everyone you know not to go there.