Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1990 Miata: clutch, new battery , oil filter, oil change..drove

I've had my 1990 Miata in storage for 5 years and had it running periodically.
I brought it to a mechanic to check it out, replaced the clutch, new battery , oil filter, oil change, brake fluid, etc.
I drove it out and it was sputtering and then shaking when I went beyond 60mph.
What should I have checked to smooth the ride?
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I would recommend that you install new spark plugs, and inspect the entire secondary ignition system. I would have the fuel system inspected. Sometimes fuel pumps can start going bad if they set up a while, so your fuel pressure could be out of spec. This can reduce power and make the engine run shaky. I would also try a little fuel injection cleaner, and follow the cleaner with a new fuel filter. Also check for vacuum leaks, because sometimes vacuum lines deteriorate in storage. Inspect these areas and you should find the problem. If the problem remains, you should consider a good diagnostic. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.