Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2003 subaru outback: dealership..clues..full service..other indicators

i have a 2003 subaru outback that has always been serviced at the appropriate intervals and was running fine until yesterday when it got stuck between 2-3rpm and then died. now the car will not turn over and the subaru dealership is saying it is total engine failure however we are getting clues from them that they may have not looked at the engine, just tried to turn it over and when it didn't, they just said we need to replace the whole engine. we just had the timing belt replaced a couple months ago and a full service, but nobody noticed anything at those points nor have there been any other indicators while driving of problems...what could this be? surely a 6 year old car can not have total engine failure for no reason...i need help so that i have some leverage with the dealership who has a history of overcharging us for unnecessary 'fix-its' before...
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any options other than the dealership? Even if it needs an engine it will be way more at the dealer that at other shops. I would get a second opinion and consider a good used engine with a warrant rather than get way overcharged at the dealer. I cannot venture a guess as to what might be wrong without seeing it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what kind of "other shop" would you suggest? and does total engine failure seem unrealistic being only a 6 year old car with 135K miles? it does to me.

Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Normally you would not expect that kind of failure in a vehicle of that age and milage but it does happen. A single part failure can ruin an engine, while not common it does happen. I would want to have someone else look at it to make sure it is really a total failure. If it is a total failure, The dealer is the last one I would want fixing it as they are sure to charge more than most shops. I would ask around and try to find a shop with a good reputation and let them look at it for you. Ask some friends and family who they use, one of them might have a good mechanic you can trust.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.