joe
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
14074217

Hyundai santa fe: air condition..The clicking continued..started back

hello,
I have a hyundai santa fe and the front panel keeps clicking on the time and air condition. I thought it was the battery, and I was told the battery was bad so I replace it. The clicking continued for 2 days, then it stopped then a few days later the car would not start, I had it junmped and it started back up, but once I turn it off the car would not start and I was told that it was not holding a charge. Finally I got it started again through a jump, but once I turned it off the car would not start. What do you think this is, a bad battery or something serious?
Category: Car
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.

hiCustomer mostlikely , your alternator is faulty and not charging, but to be sure it will have to be checked, if you have a voltmeter, you can put the pos on the pos, and neg on the neg and switch the reader to voltage, while the car is running, you should get a good 14 volt reading. If you are hesitant about doing it yourself or you dont have a voltmeter, bring it to autozone or your local parts place and they can check it there free of charge.

thanx

joe

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, if it is the alternator how much would that run me? Is it safe to have it jump again to get it check out at a autozone?
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.
it all depends, if you buy the alternator and have them put it in then your just gonna pay labor, about 150, if you have the shop do it and provide the part they will mark up the part by two or three times, and definitely do not go to the dealer, they will really do you in. as far as jumping it , i dont forsee anyproblems with that, you should be ok. go to a local shop to have your work done ,you will save a good chunk of change ,if you know what I mean
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, the jump will be good to get it check out and return home without it stopping as long as I don't turn the car off?
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.

correct, if you drive at night it may be a problem because now you are, needing the service of the alternator, and if it is completely shot, then your car will stall out, because the battery cant provide the extra voltage to run the car and the headlights and illumination, it will though keep the vehicle going because the engine does not require extra voltage.

joe

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much Joe!!!!!!!!!! I hope its the battery and not the alternator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.
I thought you replace the battery ,?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did about a week ago, but the battery is not holding a charge.........and it is a new battery so it should hold a charge, so I did not know if it was a bad battery or what the problem was. I was told by 2 towing companies that hyundai santa fe's are known for having problems with batteries
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.

ah ok , i see. my misunderstanding

thanx again

joe

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I hope the autozone sold me a bad battery and thats what it is instead of an alternator...............Do you think it is a strong possibility?
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.
yes it is a very good chance, it happens all the time. with other car makes not just hyundai's, even tho they have a history of this apparently