MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
5229702

1997 Oldsmobile Intrigue: I disengage the alarm system..changing

How do I disengage the alarm system before changing the battery out on a 1997 Oldsmobile Intrigue?
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Is the Security indicator turning on when you try to start the vehicle?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the light is blinking on and off- the alarm is very loud and continues until we unhook the battery terminal (I think that's what they are called) from the battery. As soon as we try to hook up the new battery, the alarm goes off and the car won't turn over- all the lights light up in the panel, but it's as if the ignition is disengaged.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me if this an after-market alarm, or the factory installed alarm. The factory alarm should just honk the horn.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am almost positive this is factory-installed- my father purchased the car and he never included any extras- he stayed as far away from tinkering with cars as possible! This alarm is doing everything- honking the horn, the police siren sound (whew, whew, whew). To be honest, I can't say 100% it was factory-installed, but I'm reasonably certain it was. I'm sure there's some way for an individual to switch out a battery without not being able to drive the car, because that's what happened. The original Interstate battery was jumped, and AutoZone's tests came up Bad Battery. So we bought a Duralast. Once we tried to connect the terminals to the new battery, the alarm started going off. I tried pushing the red alarm button on my key chain, which shut it off. But then every time we tried to hook up the battery, the alarm went off again.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I don't think that the factory alarm has a siren, just the horn.

When you hook up the battery, did you connect the negative terminal last?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure. May have hooked up the negative first or the positive. Would that make a difference?
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.
I don't know if it will make a difference, but the procedures ALWAYS say to remove the negative terminal first, and to put it back on last.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I need to hook up the positive first, then the negative. If I do this and the ignition still won't turn over, should I contact the manufacturer?
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

I would at least give that a try.

You might also want to try this: Disconnect BOTH terminals from the battery and then touch those two cables together a few times. This should "discharge" anything that might be holding a charge in the electrical system.

Then reconnect the positive first, then the negative.

I also have a procedure for "relearning" the security code for the system, but you may have to suffer through the alarm until it resets. But most alarms stop after a minute or two. I am just not finding a siren of any kind on the factory alarm system, just the horn.

Let me know what happens with the Negative terminal last.

Thanks, XXXXX

MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: 25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems