karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience

Remove the caliper guide pin on the front brake of a 2001 Saturn L2?

Customer Question

How do I remove the caliper guide pin on the front brake of a 2001 Saturn L2?
Category: Car
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
There should be 2 guide pin / bolts on each side of the caliper piston, usually they are a 8mm hex head or they could be a female torx head (star head) . remove outer retaining spring on the front of the caliper , remove both guide pins on the back of the caliper , remove caliper from mounting bracket and then 2 bolts hold on the mounting bracket if you need to remove that .
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The answer did not help. The question is how to remove the caliper guide pins. No hex head fits (8 mm or 40 star) and it is buried under a rubber guard. Nothing I have works and the answer might have helped if those hex heads had worked.
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
You must not have the right tool ....Or the head on the guide pin is damaged / stripped from attempted removal with the impropper tool,if the caliper hold down bolt / pin is damaged you will have to use some type of extractor or if you can cut away the rubber boot and try to use some vise grips on the pins , once out replace the caliper bolts and rubber boots. Do you have the caliper off? if so then you can apply pressure on the pins and they will come out of the caliper/ rubber boots.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does seem like there must be something wrong with the caliper guide, i.e it's stripped. My 6 mm allen wrech is too small and the 8mm is too big. Seems like it needs a 7mm, which I can't find. I guess I should take off the wheel on the other side and see if the caliper guide is the same... I appreciate your help. You were correct, only I obviously have a problem. I'll have to order some caliper bolts and rubber boots in advance. Thanks for your patience with me.
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
No problem at all ,,,sometimes it is difficult to give totally accurate advice / suggestions when you cannot see the problem that is present. The vehicle manufacturer changes bolts , sizes and styles all of the time basically making it difficult for the average "diy" to repair the vehicle and making the need for the repair facilities more important and to have many various tools.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By hitting accept do I have to pay again?
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is what will automatically happen , so yo do not have to do that I was just giving you some additional information. Good luck and I hope you are able to complete your repairs........Positive feedback and bonus's are greatly appreciated. Have a good evening. Please come back if I can be any more help.