Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training GM, Toyota ,VW, Kia,Plus More

1999 lincoln town Car: time and process to replace a fuel pump

What is the standard labor cost. time and process to replace a fuel pump in a 1999 Licoln Town Car
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt J replied 7 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Yes the fuel tank does have to be dropped to replace the fuel pump.

Labor time to replace it is between 2.1 and 2.4 hours to replace it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Matt, unfortunately the mechanic I hired did replace the fuel pump, however did so without dropping the tank, stating since the car was from "back east" there was too much rust and corrosion. That's OK I guess, yet when I receieved the bill it was for $630.49 - $330.84 Labor / 257.89 Pump / 15.57 Fuel Pump Tank Seal / shop supplies 8.21 and tax 17.89 is this in line, or outrageous
Expert:  Matt J replied 7 years ago.

If he did not remove the tank then he had to cut a hole in the floor board of the trunk or there is an access hole there that I have never seen and is not in the manuals.

If he cut a hole then that is not good, that weakens the body structure and plus over charged in labor then. If there is a access hole then he still over charged in labor. It should have taken less then an hour.

The price of the pump is about right. At the dealer the pump runs about $385.00 and at the parts store it is about $245.00