Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

how do you recharge a 2006 Hyundai Sonata air conditioning

how do you recharge a 2006 Hyundai Sonata air conditioning system
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

The newer cars(96 and up) use r-134a freon) If you were to recharge the system you would have to discharge or evacuate the system first. Since moisture is very bad for an a/c system unless you have tools to evacuate and charge I would recommend taking it to a shop. You might have a leak or just be low. Automotive a/c systems have what they call calibrated leaks, with high pressure and moving parts with seals(compresssor) they leak. Most vehicles recommend service every 4 years. Machines and gauges have hoses that connect to service ports(high and lower side) That is how you evacuate and recharge. If you are going to just release the freon and add I can tell you the a/c performance wil stink

Good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So just adding freon is not recommended. What is the best places (shops) to have this done.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.
Greetings,
           I used to think independent shops charges less, after working for 2 dealers I am wrong. If the shop has good tools(most evacuation machines will show how much freon came out)and they will leak check for you( black light looking for leaking dye)most vehicles have the dye from factory . Ask for prices up front. I know finding honest shops can be hard.
good luck