Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PUT IN A NEW SPEED SENSOR AND WHERE IS IT

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PUT IN A NEW SPEED SENSOR AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
<p>What year, model, make, and engine size of vehicle? Do you know exactly what speed sensor? A wheel speed sensor, or transmission input/ouput speed sensor? Thanks</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I DONT KNOW I WENT TO AUTO ZONE YESTERDAY AND THE SERVICE GUY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A P1529 AND HE SAID THAT THIS WAS A SPEED SENSOR THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

This code means the ecm requested to turn the check engine light on because the tcm (transmission control module) detected a transmission problem. You will need to have vehicle brought to a shop with a high end scantool to check for codes in the TCM. Also here is a technical service bulliten related to this problem. Also a bad pulse generator "speed sensor" can cause this problem but you would want to have it verified with a high end scantool and have tsb performed. If the speed sensor is the problem the sensor should cost under $100 and it should take about a hour to install. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THESE ARE THE CODES THAT THE GUY GAVE ME ALONG WITH THE P1529

P0734

P0732

HE SAID THAT THIS IS RELATED TO THE P1529. SO WHAT ARE THESE OTHER CODES

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
These are related to the P1529, which are incorrect gear ratio codes. This could be caused by a bad pulse generator "speed sensor" or be caused by corrosion on the wire harness as indicated in the TSB. You can start with either one you want to first, the tsb would be the best step since it is more common and no parts will need to be replaced. If that does not work then you would want to replace the pulse generator. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HOW MAY SPEED SENSOR DOES MAY CAR HAVE AND WITH THE P1529 CODE HOW MANY SENSOR WILL NEED TO BE CHANGED? AT THE DEALER I CALLED THEM AND ASKED THEM ABOUT REPLACING A SPEED SENSOR FIRST HE ASKED ME WHICH ONE AND I COULD NOT ANSWER THAT AND THEN HE CAME BACK AFTER ASKING A MECH. THAT IT WOULD BE $212.00 FOR THE LABOR AND $142.00 FOR THE PART WHICH IS A TOTAL OF $354.00 DO YOU THINK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM? I DO HAVE A MECH, THAT WORKS AT THE HYUNDAI PLACE THAT DOES WORK ON THE SIDE NOW THE PICTURES UP TOP IS HOW TO REPLACE THE SPEED SENSOR?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It has 4 wheel speed sensors and 1 pulse generator. I'm sure this is what the mechanic was talking about but if you buy the part yourself and have it done somewhere else you should be able to cut that price in half. Also, yes the first picture gives instructions on replacing the sensor which you could do yourself. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I CALLED THE DEALER AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD COST $52.00 DO YOU THINK I CAN GET THE PICTURES LITTLE MORE CLEARLY FOR ME?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
These are the only pictures I have, but once you get the resonator removed you will clearly see the speed sensor as shown in the picture. Let me know if you have a hard time finding it and I'll see what I can do for more pictures. Thanks again
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED SO WHAT PART DO I NEED TO PURCHASE THE PULSE GENERATOR OR THE SPEED SENSOR?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
You need to buy a pulse generator, but they are often referred to as the same thing. The Part # XXXXX XXXXX Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. DO YOU HAVE MORE PICTURES THAT YOU CAN SEND ME?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Here is all of the information I have. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION YOU WAS SOO HELPFUL TO ME. THE PICTURES WAS PERFECT!!!Smile
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy I was able to help, let me know if you need anything else and positive feedback is always apprecaited. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I AM GOING TO GO TO THE DEALER AND PICK THE PART UP I GAVE HIM THE PART NUMBER THAT YOU GAVE ME AND HE SAID THAT IT WOULD BE $42.95 AND THE MECH. SAID THE COULD PUT IT ON FOR $20.00 SO YOU SAVED ME A LOT OF MONEY. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPERTISESmile