Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

2000 Mazda 626 - Should the water pump be replaced when the

2000 Mazda 626 - Should the water pump be replaced when the timing belt is replaced? (120K miles)
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.
It's always good practice to replace the water pump during timing belt replacement when you have to remove the belt to access the water pump. It's approximately 3 hours labor to replace the water pump, which requires the timing belt to be removed in the process. Labor rates tend to vary from 75-125 and hour, so you'll be somewhere between 225 and 375 for labor, with cost on the water pump being approximately 120, and approximately 70 for the belt, then approximately 20 for coolant.

Your total cost for the service should be in the 425-575 range depending on labor rates in your area.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.