Asa
Asa, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  steering and suspension, manual transmissions
18398164

1996 Mazda MPV: 3.0...Ive replaced the timing belt..shredded

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mazda MPV with the 3.0. I've replaced the timing belt twice with the same result,it ends up shredded.The first time lasted a week so I replaced the pullies and belt,about a week again.Before I even install the automatic tensioner the belt is already very tight.Are there two different belts for this motor,if so I can't find the second,what could it be?Thanks for any help,Bobby.
Category: Car
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.

im going to give you the complete replacement instructions and let me know if theres anything you did different.

they only make one motor for the mpv with one timing belt. so the problem has to be the installation, or a worn pulley somewhere.

TIMING BELT

Preparation SST

Removal

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.

1. Remove in the order shown in the figure, referring to Removal Note.

3Cooling fan and radiator cowling

1. Drive belt
  2. A/C compressor idler pulley
  3. Crankshaft pulley
  4. Coolant bypass hose
  5. Upper radiator hose
  6. Timing belt cover and gasket
  7. Upper idler pulley
  8. Timing belt
  9. Timing belt auto tensioner

Removal Note:
Timing belt pulley lock bolt

Hold the timing belt pulley with the SST and remove the lock bolt.

Timing belt
Before removing the timing belt, perform the following operation.

1. Turn the crankshaft to align the matching marks of the pulleys.

1. Make an arrow on the timing belt to indicate direction of travel. Note: Directional arrow is for proper reassembly. Inspection:

Inspect the following parts. Replace the timing belt if there is any oil or grease on it. Check the timing belt for damage, ware. peeling, cracks or hardening.

1. Timing belt
  2. Timing belt auto tensioner
  3. Timing belt pulley

4Camshaft pulleys

Installation

Install in the reverse order of removal referring to Installation Note.

Installation Note:
Timing belt auto tensioner

1. Set a plane washer at bottom of the tensioner body to prevent damage to the body plug.
  2. Press in the tensioner rod slowly, using a press or vise. Caution: Do not press the tensioner rod more than 9,807 N (l,000 kgf, 2,200 lbf).

1. Insert a pin to hold the tensioner rod in the body as shown.
  2. Install the auto tensioner to the cylinder block. Tightening torque: 19-25 N.m {1.9-2.6 m-kgf, 14-19 ft.Ibf} Timing Belt

1. Install the crankshaft pulley lock bolt and loosely tighten.

1. Check the alignment of the matching marks of the pulleys.

1. With the upper idler pulley removed, hang the timing belt on each pulley in the order shown in the figure. Caution: If the timing belt is being reused, it must be reinstalled to rotate in the original direction. Check that there is no oil, grease, or dirt on the timing belt.

1. Install the upper idler pulley. Tightening torque: 37-52 N.m {3.8-5.3 kgf.m, 27-38 ft.lbf }
  2. Turn the crankshaft twice in the direction of rotation, align the matching marks.
  3. Check that the matching marks are correctly aligned. If necessary, repeat Steps 2-5.

1. Remove the pin from the auto tensioner.
  2. Turn the crankshaft twice and align the matching marks.
  3. Reconfirm that the timing marks are correctly aligned.

1. Check the timing belt deflection. If it is not correct, repeat the adjustment from step 4 above. Timing belt deflection: 5-7mm {0.20-0.28 in }/98 N 10 kgf, 22 lbf} Caution: Be sure not to apply tension other than that of the auto tensioner.

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

Install the timing belt covers along with new gaskets. Tightening torque: M6 : 7.9-10.1 N.m {80-110 kgf.cm, 70-95.4 in.lbf } M10: 38-51 N.m {3.8-5.3 kgf.m, 28-38 ft.Ibf} Drive belt Install each drive belt, and check the belt deflection. (Refer to Drive Belts Service and repair (Drive Belts,Mounts, Brackets and Accessories). See: Engine

Crankshaft Pulley

1. Set the SST against the flywheel (M/T) 0r drive plate (A/T).

1. Install the crankshaft pulley and lock bolt. Tightening torque: 157-167 N.m (16-17 m-kg, 116-123 in-lb).
  2. Reverse the direction of the SST and remove the SST. Steps After Installation

like i said, if you did anything different please tell me so we can figure something out, and if there are any other questions let me know, if there is nothing different between this, and what you did, we'll figure something out

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer was correct but i did everything exactly like that and replaced the pullys,my repair manual has the exact instructions.Thank you.
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.
have you replaced the tensioner? not the tensioner pulley but the actual hydraulic tensioner?