SHAREREPAIR
SHAREREPAIR, ASE CERTIFIED MASTER AUTO TECH.
Experience:  22 YRS. GENERAL AUTO REPAIR KNOWLEDGE
19682432

2002 jeep grand cherokee. The oil gauge that has L and H the

Customer Question

2002 jeep grand cherokee. The oil gauge that has L and H the needle keeps moving failry quickly from the center to the H. Back and forth while I am driving. Never goes to Low or the light has not come on. What could this be? It has 111,000 miles on it and I have nerver missed and oil change.
Linda
Category: Car
Expert:  SHAREREPAIR replied 5 years ago.

Hi Linda, I can help you with this, Before I can give you some comprehensive suggestions, I'll need a bit more info.

Is this a 4.0 6cyl?

Is there any noise coming from the motor?

Did this start to happen after an oil change?

When you're not moving, what does the gauge read?

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>6 cly.</p><p>no noise</p><p>oil change on june 4th</p><p>just started today </p><p>not moving stays closer to the H</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT IS A 6 CYL. NO NOISE COMING FROM THE MOTOR. OIL CHANGE WAS 6-4-09 THE GUAGE JUST STARTED ACTING LIKE THIS TONIGHT. WHEN NOT MOVING SEEMS TO LEAN MORE TO THE H ON THE GUAGE.

Ok, First off, If theres no noise in the engine, you can stop worrying.

Whew, feel better now?

The 6 cyl jeeps are notorious for bad oil pressure switches (the switch that tells the gauge what to read). I would bet that this is your problem. Besides the switches going bad on their own, sometimes careless techs changing your oil filter, will mistakenly crack the switch causing the same symptom.

The course of action for this is simple, bring it to a tech and have him check first to see if the switch was damaged during your last filter change, if it was, I'd bring it back to where it was changed and have them replace it without charge.

If the switch is intact, the tech will hook up his own test gauge to see what the true oil pressure of the vehicle is. He'll remove the switch and insert his tool and get a reading.

Now, chances are your switch is bad, and if it is, he'll replace it on the spot while the bad one is out (this is relatively cheap, I get under $100 for the job, inc. labor).

If by some chance he finds that the pressure is high (unlikely) he'll check to make sure the oil filter isn't defective, or that there's no blockage anywhere.

%95 chance the switch is bad.

Good luck,

Bill

Experience: 22 YRS. GENERAL AUTO REPAIR KNOWLEDGE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS A MILLION.

You're more than welcome, good luck,

Bill