ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
10832065

B100: what to do if my airbag light stays on..body shop

was wondering what to do if my airbag light stays on. i pulled the codes and it is B0022, B0051, B1000. im checking a car at a body shop and i wanted to know what needs to be reset? everything in the car has been changed. it is a 07 grand prix base model. i want to change the sdm again and there is on thing that wasnt changed. the passanger buckle. you think that can be causing these codes or do i need to change another module???
Category: Car
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Hello, it really depends on the code that they are finding when they scan the system to see what is going on with the system. There is a factory bulleting regarding the air bag system, but it would only apply if the codes on the list are what they are finding when they scan the system.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Subject:Air Bag Indicator On - keywords B0033 B0040 B0023 B0016 B0022 B0042 B0012 B0013 B0019 B0020 connector driver lamp light passenger restraints roof side sir sdm wire #PIT4011F - (08/30/2007)

Models:2005-2008 Buick Allure, Lacrosse, Lucerne
2005-2007 Buick Rainier
2006-2008 Cadillac DTS
2008 Cadillac STS, SRX, CTS and XLR
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, Trailblazer, Trailblazer EXT
2005-2007 Chevrolet SSR
2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette, HHR, Impala, Malibu Models (except Classic)
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005-2008 GMC Envoy Models
2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2007-2008 Pontiac G5
2005-2008 Pontiac Pursuit
2006-2008 Pontiac Solstice
2007-2008 Pontiac Torrent
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X
2007-2008 Saturn Aura, Outlook, Sky

This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIT4011E.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

You may experience an intermittent or current SIR indicator on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) with DTC B0012 0E, b0013 0E, b0016 0E, b0019 0E, b0020 0E, b0022, b0023 0E, B0033 0E, B0040 0E, or B0042 set in the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM).

Note: This PI only applies to the DTCs as listed above. Example, if you have a dtc B0022 symptom 0D, this pi DOES NOT apply because it is only for a B0022. DTCs B0022 and B0042 will not have symptom codes because they are for older models like the Trailblazer, Envoy, etc, and did not use symptom codes.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Inspect for a loose, missing, or broken Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer at the air bag for the set dtc. If loose, remove the connector and reinstall correctly by first pushing the connector body in completely and then pushing in the CPA completely. If the CPA is broken, missing, or will not seat in connector correctly, replace the CPA retainer with part number: 54590003 (Orange CPA) that is located in the connector tray of the terminal repair kit.

Note: If the CPA retainer part number: 54590003 (Orange CPA) can't be located in terminal repair kit, contact Kent Moore Tools @ 1-800-GM-Tools to obtain a new package of 5.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok this car had a frontal collision. everything on the car hnas been replaced except for the passanger seatbelt which is being replaced as we type. what module retains memory which doesnt seem to clear when i clear codes?
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
Check for any loose plugs under the passenger seat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'll check and get back to you once the buckle is replaced. thanks dude.
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
Keep me posted...
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 5 years ago.
You cannot clear the codes pertaining to the airbag by disconnecting the battery. These codes can only be cleared with a tech2 at the dealership. You probably don't need another SDM, just have the codes cleared by the dealer. If you have replaced everything, clearing the codes properly with a tech2 is all that is necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a snap on solus communication device. Trying to diagnose this issue myself. Not to familliar with airbag System and it's components. On the solus I have the option of clearing codes. And as many times I clear codes, codes continues to return. So what you are saying is the tech II will take care of the airbag light. Cuz the sdm was replaced along with the seat cushion. One more question, so, codes are stored in bcm?
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
The codes are stored in the square shiny box/module under the front passenger side seat under the carpet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sweet!!! I'm having them replace sdm again.(shiny box under passanger front seat). Once replaced I will ge back to you guys!! I'll keep you guys posted with outcome.
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
Ok Great...

If you want an example, I had a front end crash and replaced both air bags and winshield, nothing else. The body shop that wanted to fix it included the SDM in it's estimate so that there would be no codes since they couldn't clear them with their scanner. I replaced the air bags myself and noticed I couldn't clear the codes without them comming back. I then went to the dealer where I worked and used the tech2 and cleared all the codes in all modules. I have been code free with no warning lights ever since. It's been two years now and I still have the original SDM in it. They are not cheap.

Just make sure everything is connected properly before clearing codes. Ask yourself, if you replaced one SDM, why would the codes come back unless they were also stored in another module (BCM?). So will they come back again after another $500? Try clearing the codes properly before spending hundreds of dollars.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for all the great info. i just wont be satisfied until i change the sdm and change the belt buckle myself. if code persist i will clear codes. i know the sdm cost alot but. . . what the heck, i'm getting a techII and clearing the memory on all modules, hope this works. . .
Best of luck, let me know how you make out. Thank you for using just answer. If all things are connected properly and no broken wires, you should be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll keep you posted guys!!! Should be done on monday. Tuesday the latest.
ok, talk to you then.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok guys,
no luck with the reprogramming of the sdm. there is one thing that i was miss-informed with. apparently the sdm was never changed. the part that was being replaced was cushion module. i was basing my diagnosis on their info. they thought the module attached under the seat cushion was the SDM. i took the seat off and removed the part myself. when i asked the collision center if this part was changed(SDM), they said no.   i got back from dealer and one of the techs there tried reprogramming the sdm cuz codes couldnt be erased. like i mentioned before, no luck. once SDM is replaced, i will fill you in on the verdict.
                                       thanks guys!!!
I too was going by what you said that the SDM had been replaced once already.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello guys,
im back with more news. i've replaced the sdm and now im getting accurate codes. the codes i've retreived after the replacement of the sdm are, B0065 and B0092. if i can recall the codes correctly the B0065 is the pretensioner (LH) i checked it and what do you know, hasnt been replaced. im getting it replaced tomorrow with an OE. just had another question. do you think the codes are related??? i will find out what comes up when the tensioner (buckle) is replaced. later fellas!
This conversation started with "everything has been replaced" and has moved on to this, that, and the other thing hasn't. Even a computer relies on acurate input for a diagnosis.
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately these guys thought they could get away with a simple reseting of the memory. Boy were they wrong! everytime i go out there they pay a fee and im loving it. i couldnt determine anything because of info that they were widthelding. they lied and im pretty sure they are loosing out on cash unless they over priced their estimate. i hope they learned their lesson. but since the car isnt fixed and the tensioner needs replacing, i dont think they will keep any other info from anyone that is trying to help them.
Expert:  fix that car replied 5 years ago.

what these guys are telling you is correct, after you make sure all related componets are replaced and the sdm is programed you should be good to go. its shops like this that make people not trust repair centers.

good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the encouragement. ill see what surges after the buckle is replaced thanks.
sounds good.