cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year as shop owner and ase master tech also certified body tech
1511099

2001 PT Cruiser: Im driving..repair shop..cam and crank sensor needed

Customer Question

Good morning,

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and it keeps shutting down on me while I'm driving so I took it to the repair shop and was told that the cam and crank sensor needed to be replaced so I had them both replaced this was on a friday, the next day the car shut down on me 4 times then on monday I was sitting in the parking space with the car running and it shut down on me agin.. Do you have any idea what the problem could be
Category: Car
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
good morning when the car shuts down does it start right back up or do you have to wait for a time period any info you can give will help me understand the problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes I have to wait then the car will hesitate to start then it will start
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
when you say hesitate does the crank ok but not fire or is it slow cranking
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It acts like it won't start, I guess you could say crank ok but not fire
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
how many miles are on it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
193,000 miles also the key has stuck in the the ignition before do you think it may be the chip in the key that is shutting the car down when I'm driving it?
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
normally the chip as you call it wont shut it down once it is running just when you try to start it have you ever done a fuelpump on it this may be going bad you can usually tell if you spray starting fluid in the air intake when it wont start and if it starts you no your not getting gas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I have never had the fuel pump replaced
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
this would be my first area of possibilitys if you try what i said with the starting fluid and it starts i would change it
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 year as shop owner and ase master tech also certified body tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
if you need anything else just let me know have a good day