William
William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the field, ASE Master Technician
18012760

2006 hyundai sonata: drove..Ten minutes..minutes later

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hyundai sonata that will not crank. I drove it home without any problems. Ten minutes later I went to crank it and it will not crank. I have changed the battery so thats not the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

When you turn the ignition to the start position, do you hear any clicks or such? What do the lights on the dash board do when you turn to the start position? Also try putting the gear selecter into neutral and attempt to start. Let me know on these items and I will be able to assist you more effectively.

Thanks,

William

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes i do hear a click when i turn the key and the lights on the dash all light up. I have tried to crank it in neutral but it will not.
Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

I suspect that the starter has failed. In order to test it you will need a simple automotive test light. Do you own or have access to one of these?

William

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No. What is test light and is there another way i can test the starter?

Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

An automotive test light can be obtained at any auto parts store. It basically looks like a screwdriver with a wire coming off of it. Inside the handle is a light bulb that lights up when electrical current is applied. One can be purchased for about 10 dollars. Without a test light there really is no other way to test the starter than to replace it.

Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

Actually,

If you remove the starter from the car and take to a local parts store, they should be able to test it for you. Usually they do not charge for this service.