Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2001 Isuzu Rodeo: timing,injectors,relays,fuses,ECM you name it

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo that will turn over but not start. My mechanic has checked timing,injectors,relays,fuses,ECM you name it but the car will not start. Please help!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
OK is the check engine light on and has he determined if its missing spark or fuel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes...it has been confirmed
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok what is the code thats stored for the check engine light and is it missing spark or fuel?The code for the check engine light will help pinpoint the problem area
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mechanic just told me that he can not pull a code...
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok if you can find out if its missing fuel or spark when it does not start will help alot
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mechanic says yes to both. he says that there is no pulse to the injectors. Is it possible to conference you and my mechanic on a call...my treat?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately we can not due that company policy,and hes sure its missing spark and fuel ,how did the truck stop running were you driving etc?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes...in the middle of the road it just stopped.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok is this equipped with a factory security system if so is there a security light flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mechanic says yes it is flashing. When he attempts tp start the car it goes out...but when you leave the key in the ignition the light flashes again.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Does it continue to flash when trying to start the car,also does it flash continuosly with the key in the 2 position
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1st position - off
2nd position off
3rd - position - flashing
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
So it only flashes when trying to start the truck ,then its definately an immoblilzer issure its not recognizing the key,is the old ecm in the truck or the new one if its the new one this will cause this issue the key needs to be programed to that ecm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The ECM is the original. It has not been replaced.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok if the security light is flashing when trying to start the car its an immobilizer issue the system is not recognizing the key it could be a faulty key ,bad transponder ring or a bad immobilizer control unit,most common is the transponder ring goes bad not being able to read the key in turn kills the fuel system of the car it cuts the ground to the fuel injectors this is what he needs to check this next
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mechanic is not sure how to check the transponder. Is this something I can replace myself?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
No really its located around the ignition switch and you will need to remove the colum covers and possibly drop down the switch ,after its replaced if thats the problem the keys will need to be reprogrammed at the dealer so it will operate the immobilizer and alow the truck to start
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So this is a dealer type replacement?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes anything to do with the immobilizer system is basicaly a dealer issue as they have the correct tools and scanners to do the job
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ouch!! I was afraid you might say that. Any idea of a ball park figure in the way of cost?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Parts and labor if thats the issue 250 dollars if its the transponder the part is around 125 and no more then and hours labor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

will this work?

556U Transponder Kit W-Key Sense 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
Either call that number or look at their website. It is an immobilizer bypass kit that will allow your car to run no matter what and it is only like $47.00!!

Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
You can try is but have seen nothing but problems with these products its up to you and the mechanic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok...thanks. This was a great resource!! Off to the blood sucking dealers!!
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok good luck lol,if there is anything else you ever need let me know

Positive feedback greatly appreciated