Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Kia Sorento: XXXXX XXXXX pulley bolt clockwise to loosen..torque

I need help on a Kia Sorento 2005 EX...
Do I turn the crankshaft pulley bolt clockwise to loosen?
What is the torque in order to put it back on?
Is it absolutely necessary to use a puller to remove the harmonic balancing pulley
or are there other ways to remove it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

To remove the crank pully bolt, you turn counter--clockwise. Lefty loosy, righty tighty.

The bolt must be torqued to 130-138 ft-lbs.

It is absolutly necessary to use a puller, if the balancer is not removed evenly, you will damage it, and possible damage to the crankshaft. You can rent one, usually free with deposit, from AutoZone, Advanced, etc...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello DriveFast71,

Even thou the my vehicle is Korean made are you sure the bolt needs to be turn counter clockwise to remove it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Yes. The crankshaft spins clockwise, and if the bolt was reverse thread, that would cause the bolt to become loose during operation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello DriveFast71,
The reason this whole question of the bolt removal came about was because I have been trying to loosen the bolt.
As you can see I was not successful for two reasons.
1. The bolt will not break loose.
    That is why I needed your help in determining which way to
    loosen the bolt.
    And I want to thank you in confirming my question.
2. But one question still lingers,
    How do I keep the pulley from turning while I try to
    loosen the bolt?
I need some kind of website page or manual which shows me some details (step by step) on how to do this and give me some the answers to some of the questions I am asking you...
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Most likely the reason you cant loosen it, is because its been in there so long, and weather, and road grime have built up on it. Unfortunatly, i cannot find any pictures of how to remove the pulley, as its just "remove bolt". When I do it at the shop (and i know this might not help you but....) I apply heat to it with a torch, then hit it with a high-impact gun. The impact gun spins so fast, the pulley wont move, and the bolt loosens. I suggest spraying it with a good lubricant (WD-40) and if possible, get a mini-propane torch and heat it till its nice and red, then try again. Its defintely counter-clockwise, theres no doubt about it.