transman
transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
14457476

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse: the service engine light on..o2 sensor

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.4 automatic with the service engine light on. I scan it and came up with po 137 o2 sensor circuit low voltage bank 1 sensor 2 and po 300 random /multiple cylinder misfire detected. What needs to be replaced and their location on the car for this to be fixed? There is also another problem when coming to a stop the tranny shifts down hard when almost stopped
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 7 years ago.
ok , from the 2 codes you have i can see that your car is running lean thats why you have to codes 02 sensor voltage low for a lean condition and random misfire for cylinders misfires, usually cause by a cloged fuel filter or a fuel pump first you should replace the fuel filter and see if you can have some one to do a pressurize fuel injector cleaning, this would be the first thing you need to do before we go any further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
O.K. so you think a plugged filter will cause both codes or do I have a bad o2 sensor? Also I dont have any Mitsubishi mechanics or can anyboy do the pressurized cleaning? As far as the tranny is it a sensor or something else?
Expert:  transman replied 7 years ago.
no i dont think is the o2 sensor,you are going to need to do the fuel filter and injector clener for know before we go further ok. and as the transmission that is call THUMP ON STOP, and its a comon signe of low and reverse clutsh seal leacking internally on the transmission to fix this problem it will reqire to remove the transmission disasemble and replase all the clutsh seals.lots of money, but you will steel have a couple of K miles on that before it goes onyou.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to three different parts stores and they all say there is not a fuel filter on this car. Also I brought it into a tranny shop and they put it on a scan and they said a sensor on the tranny was causing it to shift down like it does when almost stopped, what do I believe?
Expert:  transman replied 7 years ago.
ok, what was the code they gave you, and yes ther is a gas filter on this car its located on the gas tank.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They didnt give me the code. They said the code that showed up was caused by a bad sensor and they would have to order it ( the sensor). Now back to the filter, what do I do if there isnt a listing for it. You say its on the tank, do you have to drop the tank to get at it,or is it accesble from underneath and do you know if a generic external filter will work?
Expert:  transman replied 7 years ago.
fuel filter is in the tank .
Removal And Installation

2000-2004 Eclipse models have adopted a fuel pump module which includes a fuel filter.

Fuel filter replacement is not listed in the maintenance table.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When it says fuel filter replacement is not listed in the maintenance table does that mean it is a dealer only part because you can buy a pump and strainer but it still doesnt list a filter as in the diagram
Expert:  transman replied 7 years ago.
yes its a dealers item but you should do a fuel pressure test first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
O.K. the fuel pressure was normal and the injectors were cleaned and the po300 still comes on. is there any way of knowing what else could be wrong without spending more money for nothing? has anyone heard of this?