Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Truck steering wheel..engine light came..dash lights..warning

Truck steering wheel locked up during driving, engine light came on, and ALL dash lights and buzzers went off warning of a problem....
What year, make, and model do you have? Does the steering turn at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2008 Toyota Tundra, 8-Gas TRD.

Yes, NOW the steering wheel moves normally, after the incident occured.

A load cracking noise occured just before steering lose, like something broke.

Are any of the lights still on? Is the vehicle acting "normal" at this time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Engine Maint Light and Tire Sensor light is still on. Dealership stated that tire sensor is broken on the L/R and the Engine Maint Light is due to "Routine Maint. Needed". The truck was just serviced by THEM about 3-4 months ago.
Sorry, I guess I am of no help as The condition you are referring to I have not encountered and doesn't make sense unless the vehicle quit running (stalled while driving) and then started again? I will opt out as maybe another expert has encountered this and knows of a solution.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I agree...it is so wierd.......

I was driving, getting on the hgihway at about 60MPH, on a left curing on-ramp. During this curve the truck refused to obey steering during the curve, so I tried to correct it by turning the wheel to into the proper path of the curve. At this time the truck made a very load cracking noise in the front tire area, then started the stack front to back, then all the front dash lights came on and a alarm noise went on. Then seconds later I was able to regain control, and al the lights went off, except the the Check Engine Light..........I'm CONFUSSED!!!!!!

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer.

Two things come to mind. If it was a hard lock up where the steering wheel was rigid and would almost have no possible range of movement then the steering wheel lock mechanism in the column may have briefly locked. There are safety interlocks in place to prevent this. The only way it could occur is to have a part break, and cause the problem. This is rather unlikely, but never the less it could be the problem.

If the steering was locked to the point where it was just very hard to turn, but it wasn't locked like when the key wasn't in, then you may have experienced loss of power steering pressure. This could be a power steering pump issue; but with the associated dash lights and buzzers that activated, I would say that it is more likely that the engine stumbled, and almost died. Also this could happen if the belt on the engine slipped from a foreign liquid, or a belt tensioner malfunction too. These two issues would trigger the dash lights and buzzers that you saw where the steering wheel lock would be less likely to trigger the dash lights and buzzers. There is always a chance that there was a mechanical bind in the system from road debris but that should not be able to trigger the dash lights and buzzers. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine "Stumbled" makes the most sense to me.....what sould I tell the Dealership to do to fix the problem. I am the Truck Owner and all I get from the dealership is everything is okay, the computer showed now errors. They did say the L/R Tire Sensor was broken and I needed new front brakes (45K Miles)

I would tell them that you suspect that the engine may have stumbled. But I would also have them carefully check the belt tensioner for problems and debris. A stray bolt or small tool left under the hood may have been your foreign debris that caused the problem. The tire pressure sensor will not be part of this issue.If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.