Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

2 probe: my 06..2.5L..alarming noise (grinding rattle) from the back

2 probs with my 06 Forester (2.5L, auto, 60k miles). It's on its 3rd set of front brake pads at 60k--what's going on with that? Also, there's an alarming noise (grinding rattle) from the back at about 2500rpm when I'm going uphill and take my foot off the gas. Rear end oil has no metal shavings in it, bent the heat shield away from the exhaust pipe, removed all my necessities from the storage bins in back, no joy. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer.

On the brakes you might not want to hear this. The brake wear is normally a sign of driving style. Now that being said these vehicles don't have super long lasting front brakes in general. But 60,000 miles and on the 3rd set is unusual. If you frequently drive in a hilly, or mountain area brakes can wear fast. Also if you do lots of stop and go driving they will wear faster too. There can be a master cylinder problem where the master cylinder does not effectively bleed all of the pressure off of the brakes. This can cause a problem that makes the brake pads to drag ever so slightly. This accelerates wear, and is hard to diagnose. The tell tale signs are hot rotors, when the brakes haven't been used much. You can also jack up the car and see if there is any unusual resistance to rolling from the brakes.

As for the noise I would recommend that you raise the vehicle and listen to the moving parts with a mechanics stethoscope, while the parts are in motion. These stethoscopes are available at most larger auto parts stores for less than $10. The pros use these to inspect, and track strange sounds. Normally you can locate and track strange noises with this method. Worst case scenario is, it may not tell you what the problem is, but it will at least tell you what the problem isn't. Also bear in mind that some sounds travel and resonate through another components. This can make these sounds hard to track sometimes. The mechanics stethoscope in the best tool to track these problems. Be sure to inspect the mounts and any associated bushings on the rear axle systems. Listen to the exhaust too, it can create strange rattling sounds. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.