brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

When I turn the car steering wheel..wheel back..grinding..quick fix

When I turn the car steering wheel back and forth it has started to make a grinding type of noise. Any idea what the problem is, and is it likely to be able to be fixed at one of the quick fix type repair services? I would like to take it in tomorrow before the holiday weekend as it a very irritating sound.    Is it dangerous to drive with this condition if I can't get it fixed until next week? Thank you. Sherie
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

Does the car only make the noise when turning the wheel? Does it do it sitting still and turning the wheel or does the car have to be in motion?

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It grinds in motion. It does a little squeal when I turn it back and forth when stopped.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
Does it make the noise constantly when driving or just when driving and turning the wheel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just when driving and moving the wheel
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
One last question.....Does the noise change when hitting the brake?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

My best guess is there is a problem with a wheel bearing. This can be repaired at service place and doesn't take too long. Depending on how far gone the bearing is would depend on if you should drive it or not. I would get it in right away and have it checked as it can get serious if you don't and break down on you and leave you sitting.

Thanks,

JB