OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

intermittently..153 2.5L w/o turbo AT)..indicator..autozone

The check engine light was coming on intermittently on our 1990 Plymouth Acclaim (4-153 2.5L w/o turbo AT). At the same time the alternator charge indicator showed a drop in output. We took it to Autozone while the check engine light was on and their codes suggested the alternator be replaced. This was done and unfortunately the check engine light was still on and the codes were the same.

Any ideas besides the voltage regulator (ECU)?

I checked it moments ago and now the check engine light is off.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

You need to allow the car to let the system to reset. The check engine light will turn off once the car reset. If not you can manually reset it using an OBDII scanner. Take it back to autozone and have them reset the light.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think the light has reset because the check engine light is now off. I thought we were back to the intermittent problem again after the alternator was replaced. We will drive the car for awhile and see what happens.

Thank you for your input, my wife will appreciate getting her car back.
You should be good to go, if the light comes on have autozone reset it. After the reset the light should no longer be coming on.