Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

saab 900: knocking..I slow down spped - it is intermittent..struts

Hi - i bought a saab(NNN) NNN-NNNNfrom a private party for my teenage daughter, who had saved the money from her summer job. There is some knocking underneath on right front side when I slow down spped - it is intermittent. My mechanis has told me it is the struts - can you advise how big a job that should be and if this diagnosis seems correct? Money is tight and I would appreciate your feed back on this - thank you!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok if it is in deed struts the will actually be leaking and the noise would be more prominant over bumps is it more noticable over bumps?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi - did your info request mean the[re] will actually be leaking? It doewn't seem to be any more prominent over bumps, no. Would the leaking be noticeable to me or just to a mechanic when the car is on a lift. Thanks!
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes you would be able to see it if its leaking just shine a flash light at the struts see if it looks wet,also could be other front suspension parts possibly front sway bar bushings front lower ball joints always good to get a few opinions if it is struts around 400 parst and labor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How would I see the struts? And would the other psossibilitites have the same symptoms?

Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes they would the struts are behind the front wheels like I said if they are bad they usually leak and hear the noise over bumps,so id have the other suspension parts all checked first reccomend secons opinion