brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

drivers door..turn key..then in unlocked position, it wont open

Customer Question

My driver's door is stuck locked, can turn key and feels/sounds like movement is going on, same with inside handle. But, then in unlocked position, it won't open.

Happened a couple of times over past year, but since after a few tries I got it open each time, didn't worry about it too much.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Gear Head,

Car is 1990 Buick LeSabre. I've already tried multiple attempts (!) of locking and unlocking manually, both from inside and out. This has worked in the few times I had the problem in the past. I have never used the power lock function on the car.

Then I compared to working passenger door, the moving door handle / lock parts I could see, but the movement looks the same.

Also tried rolling down window and spraying lubricant into the lock mechanism area, which I could see down to.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

When you try to unlock with the power lock do you get any movement or noise?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the noise is the same, and the lock button goes up to the unlocked position, but the result is the same.

Sorry, I should have mentioned before, that though I don't use the power locks, I did try that once this problem occurred.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

If the button goes up there is one of two problems either the linkage has come off the latch or the latch itself needs replaced. Either way you will need to get the door panel off to determine which one! That of course is the hard part with the door closed. All you can do is pop it loose at the top and try to squeeze inside the door from the top to get it open. This is not easy to do, but it can be done.

Good Luck,