Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2003 Eclipse: grinding..the car every cold start..exhaust..oil pump

I have a 2003 Eclipse that makes a grinding/crunching noise in the rear of the car every cold start (when it's been sitting overnight). The noise lasts for about 5-10 seconds and then is gone. It sounds horrible, and I'm wondering if it's exhaust related or possibly oil pump related.
Is the noise only on cold start up at idle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Typically, almost always yes.
Ok from what you are describing is a loose exhaust heat shield which is common overtime the rust out and break not a big repair ,on your next oil change have them check the heatshield on the exhaust and remove the one thats rattling or rusted off they really should not charge much or at all this will take all of 10 minutes this is the first thing to check
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That shield could make a grinding noise? It seems that it would rattle all the time, not just when it starts. I'll have my guy look at it since it's in the shop anyway.
Yes it could ,when its up in the air they need to have someone start the car to pinpoint the problem since its here then gone the other possibility is the fuel pump is making noise make sure they do it when its cold