Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  Transmission Tech - Management Master Winner 3rd place Entire US Southeast region #1 after masters

2002 freelander 1.8 with a hole in the block...non Land Rover engine

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Freelander 1.8 with a hole in the block. Want to put a non Land Rover engine, as they are not reliable. Any suggestions?

Kind regards

Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Your best bet would be to replace engine to stock.....cost would be off the chain to change from stock, repair...then sell it & get what you want...Joey
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Joe

I don't plan to sell, as the resale values are really low. I would rather invest money in making it last for years to come and use as a recreational vehicle. The body and interior are still very new and I have done very low mileage with the vehicle. The other problem is that a stock engine cost R35000 for a recon and R90000 for a new unit. Second hand Toyota engines (imported from Japan, etc.) retail around R5000. Surely the cost of adapting to match the gearbox would work out cheaper than buying a stock engine?

Kind regards

Only there are to many problems with change over unless you buy complete wrecked truck for that might be your