Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

1999 cutlass: I purchased the car with a different radio.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 cutlass with radio theft system. I purchased the car with a different radio. This theft system is use if the radio is stolen. The problem is that every so often the car will not start. The theft system light on the dash board will flash for 10 minutes before I am able to start the car. This can be a real pain in the butt at times. I need to know how to de-activate this device with out the stock radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hello,does this have an aftermarket radio is that what you are saying?Do you have to crank and release the key for the 10 minutes before it will start?Does this happen often?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The radio is a pioneer system. It's not the (OEM) original equipment manufacture that came with the car. The OEM radio is anti theft system. You need a security code thru the radio in order to de-activate this theft system.

The car will not start at all for about 10 minutes. It will just crank over. After the 10 minute delay the theft system light (located beside odometer) will go off and then I'm able to start the car.

It's been happening more often recently.

How much will this cost?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found the answer. Don't investigate any longer.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
i have seen this failure before and in most cases it only happens one time and then once the key is relearned it operates normally again,but for the vehicles it didnt correct this way it ende up being the body control module that was the failure,it wasnt retaining the theft information and kept resetting.In these cases the Body control module had to be replaced to correct this failure.Thanks Pete