Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Im looking at buying a 92 geo storm. It idles really high...

Customer Question

Im looking at buying a 92 geo storm. It idles really high... what could it be? is it serious?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer.

Sometimes when a car is idling high it can be a problem with the idle air control, and that is not a big problem. BUT I will warn you that sometimes the idle is cranked up high to hide a problem, sometimes a serious problem, like a worn out motor. I would tell the seller that if they can make it idle properly that you would buy it. If they get it to idle properly, look at all the gages, and listen to the engine if it runs smooth and quiet it will probably be OK. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, I know the kid selling it is kinda ignorant, and he hasn't tried anything yet. So should I just adjust the throttle to a low idle and see how it performs? Or how can I with the idle air control to troubleshoot it? I'm looking at the car for my kid sis then leaving town, so its go or no tomorrow...
The problem is the idle is computer controlled. It could be vacuum leaks, or other problems causing the high idle. Having to figure out the problem may be tough. That is good that you know this person. I have seen engines artificially turned up to hide problems at car lots.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hmmm... catch 22. I don't KNOW the guy, just an impression i get. Its a $500 car and I got about another 100 to put it in the shop but then I go home... any tips to weed out a lemon before I accept? hate to leave her with a $500 yard ornament... Or would you just let it go?

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, if it drives smooth, and starts easy, and goes down the road good, and stops good, then it has a lot of potential. On a car of this age there can be a lot of problems. Open the oil cap with the engine running and see what it looks like. Some oil might come out, what you are looking for is a constant out rush of air/gas If it is pulsing in and out it is a good sign. But if there is a constant outflow it is a sign that the engine is worn out. Like I said some oil may come out with the cap open and the engine running, but not a lot will come out if you do this pretty quick. Look at the tires too especially the front tires if they are worn unevenly, if they are then there is probably front suspension problems. Also rev it up pretty high, take it easy but hit it quite a bit, and watch the tailpipe good, if there is any visible smoke that is a sigh of engine wear too.

It is hard to catch everything but these basic steps will keep you out of trouble. I am still concerned about the high idle, it could easily cost you more than you are paying for the car to repair this problem. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.