Alan
Alan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  WA State Emissions Certified 17+ Years Shop Experience Japanese and Domestic
15651822

02 MAZDA B3000 (145K ) THERE IS A CHIRPING SOUND COMING FROM

02 MAZDA B3000 (145K ) THERE IS A CHIRPING SOUND COMING FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT. IT IS THERE WHEN TRUCK IS IDLING. IT SEEMS TO GO AWAY ONCE I GET ON THE THROTTLE. WHAT COULD IT BE?
Category: Car
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer Thanks for your question. The first thing that comes to mind is the serpentine drive belt. Try spraying water on the belt with a spray bottle while it is making the chirping noise. See if the noise changes or goes away. What can happen is the belt can get dry and glazed with age. This will cause it to chirp. The fix is to replace the serpentine belt. I hope this helps. If I have answered your question please accept. If you have more questions just respond. Thanks for using JA.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE BELT IS ABOUT A YEAR OLD. COULD IT BE THE IDLER PULLEY OR THE WATERPUMP PULLEY. I'M ASKING BECAUSE I HAVE HEARD WHEN IT IS THE BELT AND CHANGED IT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD THE SOUND I'M HEARING NOW. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Did you try spraying water on the belt? If there is a change in the noise that would pin it down to the belt or its associated pulleys. Belts can make different noises depending on the problem with them. It would not be unheard of to have a belt making a chirp at idle after one year. They can be defective and have a shortened life. Another possibility would be the belt automatic tensioner. If you release the tension on the belt it should move smoothly and evenly without hanging up. If the tensioner is not holding the belt tight it could make noise. i would not suspect the water pump based on your description of the noise. If the noise goes away with water sprayed on the belt, and the tensioner releases smoothly I would try replacing the belt. It is the cheapest option, and most likely. While you have the belt off you can spin all the pulleys and make sure they are smooth and quiet. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
Alan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: WA State Emissions Certified 17+ Years Shop Experience Japanese and Domestic