Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse: V6..I accelerate..loses power..vacuum

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6, 86k miles. Lately, when I accelerate in any gear the engine makes a phishing sound and loses power until I take my foot off the gas. It sounds like a vacuum leak(?). The auto transmission seems to shift OK and all fluids have been checked and OK'd recently.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to check the fuel pressure and make sure that it is not low.

Also, the fuel filter, that it's not clogged up or restricting the flow of fuel.

If they are both ok, then you might have a problem with the exhaust system being restricted. You can have an exhaust back pressure test done on it, or you can take out the 02 sensor that is closest to the engine, JUST AS A TEST and see if it runs much better. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had my car repaired today and it wasn't any of the items diagnosed by Super Mechanic. Of course, being able to see the car is a much better way to form an opinion than my description online. However, on a previous tune-up when replacing my air filter, a technician removed the plastic tabs holding the air intake securely in place and never replaced them. When I would accelerate under load, the air intake would be blocked and thus the "Phishing" sound and what felt like a loss of power. The problem was remedied by securing the air intake properly.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Glad to hear that you found the problem, I will have to remember that. Not something you see everyday though, thanks.