Autotech Trent
Autotech Trent, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 years experience in automotive repair. ASE Certified in Brakes, Alignment, A/C and Electrical.
19949539

toyota 4runner sport: v8..i punch it, i start to smell sulfur

I have a toyota 4runner sport v8. I have noticed that when i punch it, i start to smell sulfur. why?
Category: Car
Expert:  Autotech Trent replied 7 years ago.
Hello!

There's sulfur in fuel additives; your engine isn't burning it completely and your catalytic converter is storing it and then releasing it as hydrogen sulfide when you add load to the engine and force more air through. This causes the sulfer smell you have noticed.

Try switching gas stations, or fuel grades; then try a tune-up. replace the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel and air filters, and oxygen sensor, and clean the fuel injectors. If that doesn't do it, replace your converter.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!