Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

my tranny went into limp mode and wont come..Check trans light comes

My tranny went into limp mode and wont come out. I changed fluid and filter and it still wont come out. Check trans light comes on but no codes to go with it? Three days before the tranny went into limp mode, i had a new motor put in. Is it the PCM like the manual says? Or is it interrelated with the motor?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok was there any problem with the transmission before the motor swap
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There was a slight delay when first shift when the motor was cold. But other than that nothing i can recall.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok you need to look over the connections on the main engine harness make sure nothings pinched or disconnected,if its all ok then you need ot possibly reprogram the computer last resort would be to replace the computer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok and if all of that checks out?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
If all checks out possible need teh computer reprogrammed ,last resort replaced
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do does the computer get reprogrammed? Can i do it with a normal code reader? Your saying the problem is not the transmission?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Most likely its not the transmission ,its more of an electronic ,what were the codes stored for the transmission
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no codes stored at all
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok like I said might just need a relearn or reprogram like I said before it would have to be done at the dealer with there scanner ,you can try this disconnect both battery terminals clamp them together and let sit overnite this will erase all memory and sometimes will fix this issue if not then you need to see if the dealer can relearn the transmission