Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1978 porsche 924: awhile..intermittently..it is not getting fuel

Hi, I have a 1978 porsche 924. I have been having trouble with it when I drive it for awhile. It begins to intermittently act as if it is not getting fuel. It starts out once in awhile and as I drive more and it heats up it gets progressively worse. It starts to buck bad. At fist I thought that it was vapor locking, so I changed the thermostat to a lower temp. and covered the fuel lines with a heat wrap. The engine temp is lower, but still have problems. I have noticed sometimes when I turn right or go up hill it cuts out as well. I also thought it may be fuel pump, but it runs fine as long as i don't drive it too long. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok still sounds like its fuel related to me need to have a fuel pressure test done ,its possible the fuel pump is overheating or there is debris in the gas tank and when you make the right hand turn it clogs the sock on the fuel pump,so the fuel pressure test is the first step
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This car has 2 fuel pumps, an internal and external. Do you think one is heating up because it is working to hard because of needing cleaned?

Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes definately ,if one is not operating correctly it will affect the other id start with a fuel pressure test