r hale
r hale, Technician
Experience:  8
2952283

1996 F250: my local Ford dealer

1996 F250 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Just got back from my local Ford dealer. I have a oil leak that I thought was coming from the area of the oil pan where the dip stick is attached. They told me it is coming from the high pressure pump and said it could cost me up towards $1500 to fix. I don't believe the pump is defective since I have no problems with loss of power and starts and runs fine. Could there be a problem with a gasket, seal or oil line that is connected to the pump? Is there any known problems with this as far as oil leaks go that doesn't require replacing the pump? I am a retired senior citizen with very limited income. I am hoping to fine a answer that I can present to the Ford dealer and a direction to look with the most economical results. Thanks.
Hi and thank you for using just answers.com, I'm Reid and i will help you with your question.

This is a fairly common problem with thies trucks and i dont know y the ford dealer wants to replace the entire pump. Most lilely it is just a bad o-ring or gasket on the pump it itself and they are replaceable. I even found a service bullitin on the issue that you are having. I would highly recomend bringing it to a second dealer and getting a second oppinion.

Article No.
03-21-21

10/06/03

LEAK - OIL LEAK AT ENGINE VALLEY PAN AND/OR
HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP - VEHICLES EQUIPPED
WITH 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE FORD:
1994-1997 F SUPER DUTY, F-250, F-350
1995-1997 E-350

Article 97-2-16 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.

ISSUE

A high number of high pressure Rexroth pumps and Injection Pressure Regulators (IPR) are being replaced due to oil leaking, when all that is required is a new gasket or seal on either the pump or IPR.

ACTION

If a suspected oil leak is being observed from either component, replace the pump gasket with new gaskets. Pump or IPR replacement is not appropriate for an oil leak. Any pumps and/or IPR's returned must have location of oil leak noted on the diagnostic form which must accompany the returned part. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for specific details.

NOTE HIGH PRESSURE PUMPS RETURNED FOR OIL LEAKS THAT ARE FOUND TO BE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY WILL BE RETURNED AND CHARGED BACK FOR WARRANTY.