SHAREREPAIR
SHAREREPAIR, ASE CERTIFIED MASTER AUTO TECH.
Experience:  22 YRS. GENERAL AUTO REPAIR KNOWLEDGE
19682432

HOW TO TELL IF IGNITION MODULE IS BAD OR GOING BAD ON A 3.8 ENGINE

Is this a Ford 3.8, or a general motors 3.8?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
? 3800 SERIES 2 OLDS GM?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG? HAVE NOT GOTTEN REPLY

HiCustomer No you did nothing wrong. Perhaps the other tech went off-line or got stuck w/ another customer. I will be happy to help you.

What the other tech was asking is to check the 8 th didgit on the vin. If you could tell me if it's a 1 or a K I'd really appreciate it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

K

Thank you. I wont promp you to pay until I get the info and I begin to actually help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX SAME CELINOID AFEW TIMES. I THINK # XXXXX PLUGS. (THE CENTER ONE)

Ok good. Now can you tell me the aprox mileage, and symptoms your having? Then I can answer your quest.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
200000 CHECK ENGINE LITE COMES ON. # XXXXX 5 START MISSING. THEN IT WILL START RUNNING NORMAL AGAIN. LIGHT WILL CLEAR ITS SELF AFTER AWHILE ,THEN IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN
Ok give me a minute, I'm going to type in alot of info for you, and I'm a slow typer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ME 2 THANKS

Ok, to answer your fist ques. Unless you have a modis scanner or equiv. you wont be able to properly/safely test the ICM. This is because along with ground and Ign and tach wires, some of them go to the ECM. you don't want to damage that!

As far as Physical symptoms to know if you have a bad ICM. No start would be complete failure, stalling when hot and then re-starting cold would be another.

If you have a prob. with two cyl. on the same bank, it might make more sense that a coil pack might be bad (works 2 cyl. each.

Before you bully on the ICM, remember, it only does what the cam and crank sensors tell it to do.

Ultimately, the moist common causes of those misfires are Plugs, Wires, Coil pack.

I'm not sure what Solenoid you're referring to?
Experience: 22 YRS. GENERAL AUTO REPAIR KNOWLEDGE

I wish I could but this site prohibits and blocks your e-mail from me. you'll have to copy/paste from this site. Also, if you need to follow up w/ me just let me know as I'll be happy to help furrther If you'll need to look elsewhere like Vacuum leaks, checking those two injectors, compression test in those cylinders, Etc. Good luck.

If you were satisfied w/ my answer, pleas leave positive feedback for me. Thanks.