Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How do I change the spark plugs on my 2003 Olds Aurora?

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here are instructions, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

Ignition Coil(S) Replacement - Bank 1
Notes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the fuel injector sight shield.
  2. Disconnect the ignition control module electrical connector.
  3. Disconnect the AIR vacuum control solenoid valve electrical connector.
  4. Remove the AIR shut-off valve.

1. Using the removal sequence (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) , remove the ignition cassette retaining bolts.
  2. Carefully remove the ignition cassette.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the spark plug boots to the spark plugs. IMPORTANT: Ensure the ignition cassette grounding spring and the insulator are in place when installing the ignition cassette.
  2. Carefully install the ignition cassette.

1. Install the ignition cassette retaining bolts. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Using the installation torque sequence (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), tighten the ignition cassette retaining bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in) .
  2. Install the AIR shut-off valve.
  3. Reconnect the AIR vacuum control solenoid valve electrical connector.
  4. Reconnect the ignition cassette electrical connector.
  5. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

Spark Plug Replacemen
Ignition Coil(S) Replacement - Bank 2
Notes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Using the removal sequence (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), remove the ignition cassette retaining bolts.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the spark plug boots to the spark plugs. IMPORTANT: Be sure the ignition cassette grounding spring and insulator are in place when installing the ignition cassette.

2. Reconnect the ignition cassette electrical connector.
  3. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

t
Notes

TOOLS REQUIRED
J 43094 Spark Plug Boot Puller

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Turn OFF the ignition switch.
  2. Remove the ignition coil assembly.
  3. Use the J 43094 in order to remove the spark plug boots from the spark plugs.
  4. Remove the spark plugs from the engine. NOTE:
    • Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause the plug threads to seize, causing damage to cylinder head threads.
    • Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so could result in engine damage because of dirt or foreign material entering the cylinder head, or by the contamination of the cylinder head threads. The contaminated threads may prevent the proper seating of the new plug. Use a thread chaser to clean the threads of any contamination.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Measure the spark plug gap on the spark plugs to be installed. Compare the measurement to the gap specifications. Refer to Ignition System Specifications. Correct as necessary. NOTE:
    • Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the vehicle.

Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.

• Check the gap of all new and reconditioned spark plugs before installation. The pre-set gaps may have changed during handling. Use a round feeler gage to ensure an accurate check. Installing the spark plugs with the wrong gap can cause poor engine performance and may even damage the engine.
  1. Install the spark plugs to the engine. NOTE:
    • Be sure that the spark plug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and the spark plug is fully seated. Use a thread chaser, if necessary, to clean threads in the cylinder head. Cross-threading or failing to fully seat the spark plug can cause overheating of the plug, exhaust blow-by, or thread damage.
    • Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten
Tighten the spark plugs between 17-23 N.m (13-16 lb ft) .

1. Install the spark plug boots to the ignition coil assembly.
  2. Refer to Ignition Coil(s) Replacement - Bank 2 or Ignition Coil(s) Replacement - Bank 1 .

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database